Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Great Weekend & A Missed Run

I sometimes wish that I lived in the lower 48.  Sometimes I feel very isolated in AK, like I'm missing out on some great things: farmers markets that stretch on for blocks, FOUR seasons that have distinct beginnings and ends, walking well anywhere- hard to do when everything is so spread out.  But this time of year always makes me happy.  The sun is bright and stays up longer and longer each day.  Its still crisp out but you can feel that its getting warmer- the snow starting to melt (even if it freezes back up at night).  It really is a great feeling knowing that Spring is almost here and, with that, summer is right around the corner.  It's a great feeling :). 

We went to our cabin this weekend (it's about 2 hours outside of Anchorage).  It was a beautiful weekend and we were able to do some mini hiking on both Saturday and Sunday.  Coop (our dog) absolutely loves it out there- he gets to play outside, non-stop, for two full days and nothing makes him happier.  It's always hard to leave (I really wish I had taken some pics- I need to get better about that :)).

I missed my scheduled run on Monday.  I have been feeling something (?) in my chest and was worried that I might be coming down with something.  I took it easy Monday and Tuesday and am actually feeling pretty good today.  I will need to make up my run on Thursday which gives me four straight days of running.  This makes me a little nervous since I am still in the building up phase and I worry that four consecutive days might too much?  Well, we'll see- if by Friday I feel exhausted or shin splints or anything else I might lay off and just miss a day.

Happy Hump Day Everyone :)!

6 comments:

funderson said...

Yeah..don't you wish the snow could just vaporize and we could get on with a "real" spring?

Unknown said...

Nice blog! :)
I used to love the feeling of spring when I was living in the US... my fav season ever! Now I moved to Buenos Aires... and while there's still 4 seasons here, there ain't no snow on winter, so I kinda miss that too... ): I hate winter, but since it's gonna get cold anyway, so it's better with snow! heh

xx

Elena (Running in Heels After Child) said...

It is my first time reading your blog.

It sounds like a beautiful time of year to be in Alaska.

About missing your run, it is fine to skip a run. If you feel good then go ahead and do the four runs in a row but if you don't feel up to it just skip it- you will be fine. Just my two cents for what its worth.

Happy Running,

Elena

Kerrie said...

It's OK to miss a run or two! I'd avoid four days consecutively if you are not used to it...coming from a paranoid person who gave herself a shin fracture last year. LOL.

Happy to find your blog. Thanks for the follow at MvM.

PS: My husband is from Anchorage (Eagle River). MY FIL still lives up there. It's beautiful, but I can understand your feelings about living up there. :/

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I used to advise distance students in Ak and don't how you do the sunless winters!

Are you running Seattle RnR? I may be running in place of someone using her bib. maybe I will see you?!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, I have recently been looking for info about this subject for a while and yours
is the greatest I have discovered so far. But, what in regards to
the conclusion? Are you sure in regards to the source?
Look into my blog post - designer costume jewelry