Monday, July 19, 2010

Still going strong

Today my training (and by training I mean base/5K training) bumped me up to two miles.  I decided to take it out on the treadmill since the weather has been rainy and chilly all day (and it looks like it will be for the rest of the week :( ).  While I am doing better than I expected after a month and a half of nadda, I am still walking quite a bit.  For my 2 miles today I decided to do 1/2 mile warm up walk, run 1 mile (which I almost got through without walking and then only for a 1:30 :)), and then cool down with 1/2 mile.  I definitely felt like I made it over a small milestone today because I really, really didn't feel like running, plus had a bit of a headache, but I got my butt to the gym and did it anyway.  For me that's a big deal, it means I'm back to taking this seriously and am no longer giving into any excuse I can think of not to work out.

I am trying out a new "diet" right now.  I use air quotes because it is technically supposed to be a life style change in eating habits rather than a short term way to lose weight.  I'm reading a book called Eat for Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman.  It basically focuses on a primarily plant based diet and stresses the idea that processed and animal based foods are a leading cause of obesity and disease.  I am definitely not trying to get preachy (I love my meat and cheese) but there are a lot of good points and I thought it would be worth a shot especially since I really have a good chunk of weight to lose.  I am still reading through the book right now so am only making small changes right now for example- having a meat and dairy free day or a day without any prepackaged foods.  You know, baby steps :).  I think this is going to be very hard for me because, at the end of the day, my willpower and resolve really aren't that strong.  I give into temptation, A LOT.  But, like I said, I'm willing to give it a try and will probably post updates here so please bear with me :).

Here's to the start of a great week.....Happy Monday!

6 comments:

Genesis said...

baby steps is the way to go...

Julie said...

Happy Monday to you! Nice work on your 2 mile run...you are going to be running a 5K before you know it:)

funderson said...

good job, my lady! AND I'm telling you, you'll smell better.. I'm just sayin'
: )

Suzy said...

Congrats on the 2 mile run! Slowly but steady is the best way.

Middle Name Marie said...

You can do it!!! (I agree though--cheese is very tempting)

Tricia said...

great job on your run